FA LB Spikes pleads guilty, loses license
Brandon Spikes | FA
(July 1, 2015 1:02 PM EDT)
Free agent ILB Brandon Spikes pleaded guilty to leaving the scene of a personal injury crash Wednesday.
Spikes was charged in a hit-and-run last month and was immediately released by the Patriots. He's been fined, received a year of probation, and lost his driver's license. The soon-to-be 28-year-old struggled to find work earlier this offseason before landing in New England. He's a one-dimensional run-stuffer.
Source:
WBZ News
Falcons most interested in Clemson LT Battle
Isaiah Battle | CLG
(July 1, 2015 12:52 PM EDT)
An NFC personnel man told the Newark Star-Ledger that he hears the Falcons are the "most interested" team in Clemson LT Isaiah Battle.
"I'll be surprised if he's not taken," said the same executive. "He's worth a shot, for sure. It's just a matter of how much is he worth to you." Battle is expected to be taken in next Thursday's Supplemental Draft, but has a number of off-field issues, hence his decision to leave Clemson and bolt for the NFL. He's going to be a project, but has ideal height at 6-foot-7 and a slender 275 pounds.
Source:
Newark Star-Ledger
Packers NT Thornton on outside looking in
Khyri Thornton | GB
(July 1, 2015 11:41 AM EDT)
ESPN Packers reporter Rob Demovsky projects the team to cut 2014 third-round NT Khyri Thornton.
Thornton was the 85th pick in last year's draft and spent all of last year on I.R. There have been reports he looked like a bust in training camp last summer. Buried on the depth chart, Thornton is going to need a big training camp and preseason.
Source:
ESPN.com
Jared Abbrederis' roster spot in jeopardy
Jared Abbrederis | GB
(July 1, 2015 11:35 AM EDT)
ESPN Packers writer Rob Demovsky believes second-year WR Jared Abbrederis' roster spot could be in jeopardy.
The Packers are a tough squad to crack year in and year out, and Abbrederis missed his entire rookie year with a torn ACL. Fellow second-year WR Jeff Janis is "way ahead of Abbrederis at this point." Abbrederis will need to prove he's healthy and hope the Packers keep six receivers on the final 53-man roster.
Source:
ESPN.com
Odell Backham offered baseball contract
Odell Beckham | NYG
(July 1, 2015 10:00 AM EDT)
The Rockland Boulders of the Can-Am professional baseball league have offered Odell Beckham a contract.
It's the deadest part of the NFL calendar, in case you couldn't tell. A video surfaced of Beckham throwing a softball 80-some odd miles an hour, and the Boulders came calling. "We think that getting experience pitching to professional hitters will give [Beckham] the opportunity to follow in the footsteps of Deion Sanders and Bo Jackson," said Boulders GM Shawn Reilly. The Boulders want Beckham to report to spring training next May. Good one, Boulders. Good joke.
Source:
Lohud.com
Panthers 'bullish' on DE Frank Alexander
Frank Alexander | CAR
(July 1, 2015 9:52 AM EDT)
Coach Ron Rivera "seems most bullish" on DE Frank Alexander winning the starting job opposite LE Charles Johnson.
The Panthers are looking to replace Greg Hardy full-time. Alexander played just 24 snaps last season after being slapped with consecutive four- and 10-game suspensions to open the season. He admitted to smoking weed after practices on a regular basis to help him heal. Now apparently clean, Alexander made noise at OTAs before injuring his groin and missing minicamp. If Alexander doesn't take the job, the Panthers also have Kony Ealy, Mario Addison, and Wes Horton.
Source:
Charlotte Observer
FA Spillman officially charged with assault
C.J. Spillman | FA
(July 1, 2015 8:51 AM EDT)
Free agent DB C.J. Spillman has been charged with sexual assault in Tarrant County, Tex.
Spillman was accused of sexually assaulting a woman at the Cowboys' team hotel on September 20 last year, and the judge finally handed down the paperwork on Monday. The Cowboys continued to let Spillman, a special teams ace, play, as he appeared in all 16 games. This isn't 29-year-old Spillman's first sexually-charged wrongdoing, as he was accused of rape back in 2013.
Source:
New York Daily News
Seahawks set to bring back DT Mebane
Brandon Mebane | SEA
(July 1, 2015 8:39 AM EDT)
Seahawks DT Brandon Mebane's roster spot appears to be secure.
There was some light chatter that Mebane would be cut this offseason due to his $5.5 million salary and coming off hamstring surgery. But Seattle will keep its interior run-plugger for the final year of his contract. Mebane is expected to be ready for the start of training camp after sitting out much of the spring.
Source:
Brandon Mebane on Instagram
James Wright sat out most of spring practices
James Wright | CIN
(June 30, 2015 9:07 PM EDT)
Bengals WR James Wright sat out most of team drills during the spring.
Beat writer Geoff Hobson failed to mention what the reasoning was, but we're assuming Wright underwent some sort of offseason surgery. Wright caught five balls for 91 yards as a rookie and was a fixture on special teams. The Bengals are high on the sophomore. He's the front-runner for No. 4 receiver duties.
Source:
bengals.com
Pryor says he's competing as 'slash' player
Terrelle Pryor | CLE
(June 30, 2015 4:46 PM EDT)
Terrelle Pryor says he's competing for a roster spot as a "slash" player.
"I'm going to give this slash-player deal a chance," Pryor said last week. "I just want to play football. I'm a playmaker, and I believe if I can touch the ball, I can go to the house, especially if I have space." A "slash" player is typically a quarterback who gets touches elsewhere on the field. The Browns have made it clear they signed Pryor as a wideout, and not a signal caller. Pryor would undoubtedly be used in gadget packages if he cracked the 53-man roster, but his odds live and die on his ability to adjust to receiver.
Source:
Cleveland Plain Dealer

Pages