Rotoworld: Headlines

 

NFL

Vikings RB distribution 'unclear' for Week 13
Joe Banyard | MIN
(November 28, 2014 3:26 PM EST)
The Minneapolis Star-Tribune's Matt Vensel considers the Vikings' Week 13 backfield distribution "unclear" with Jerick McKinnon (back) not playing against the Panthers.
Joe Banyard was the only Vikings back left who played last week, gaining 45 yards on eight touches in a loss to Green Bay. He outplayed McKinnon, while Matt Asiata (concussion) was inactive and Ben Tate didn't play at all. Asiata is probably the favorite for playing time against Carolina, but Banyard arguably earned more work. Tate is superfluous on the roster at this point.
Source:
Matt Vensel on Twitter
Larry Fitz limited, will be game-day decision
Larry Fitzgerald | ARZ
(November 28, 2014 2:59 PM EST)
Updating a previous item, the Cardinals listed Larry Fitzgerald (questionable, knee) as a "limited" participant in Friday's practice, and are calling him a game-time decision for Week 13.
Reporters didn't see Fitz on the practice field to open the session, so it was assumed he didn't participate. The Cardinals are claiming he did. "If he goes, he goes," coach Bruce Arians said, insisting Fitzgerald wouldn't be "limited" in Sunday's game at Atlanta if he's active. "That’s the only reason he would play, because he can play." Arians added Fitzgerald is "progressing nicely" off his MCL sprain. He'll be a dicey WR3 option in a late-afternoon game.
Source:
azcardinals.com

MLB

Marlins acquire Aaron Crow from Royals
Aaron Crow | FLA
(November 28, 2014 12:20 PM EST)
Marlins acquired RHP Aaron Crow from the Royals in exchange for LHP Brian Flynn and RHP Reid Redman.
FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal first reported the deal, and it's now been made official. Crow was an All-Star in his rookie season back in 2011, but his stuff and results have declined steadily since then. He held a 4.12 ERA with just 34 strikeouts over 59 innings in 2014 and could have been facing a non-tender this winter with another raise via arbitration coming. The Marlins will hope the 28-year-old can rediscover his stuff in the National League.
Royals re-sign Jason Frasor for $1.25 million
Jason Frasor | KC
(November 28, 2014 10:35 AM EST)
Royals re-signed RHP Jason Frasor to a one-year, $1.25 million contract with a $2 million mutual option for 2016.
There's a $550,000 buyout attached to the option, so the deal will net Frasor at least $1.8 million. He can also earn an additional $500,000 in incentives in both 2015 and 2016. The Royals' big three at the back-end of the bullpen deservedly received most of the attention, but Frasor was also terrific for them in middle relief, posting a 1.53 ERA in 23 appearances after coming over in a trade with the Rangers. The 37-year-old should have another effective year or two left in the tank.

NBA

George Hill dealing with a tear in his quad
George Hill | IND
(November 28, 2014 6:37 PM EST)
Pacers' head coach Frank Vogel revealed for the first time that in addition to George Hill's knee contusion, he is also dealing with a tear in his quad and is not expected back until mid-December.
Vogel said that the tear did not show up in the initial MRI because there was too much blood, but that is the reason Hill has been out for so long. C.J. Watson is expected to make his season debut Friday night, and it's not known exactly how that will affect Donald Sloan's minutes. However, given Sloan's solid play so far this season, he'll likely remain in the starting lineup as Watson is eased back into the rotation, and he should remain be held in standard leagues until something changes.
Source:
Scott Agness on Twitter
Dwight Howard won't play on Friday night
Dwight Howard | HOU
(November 28, 2014 6:30 PM EST)
Dwight Howard (knee) will not play against the Clippers on Friday.
The Rockets are going to have to start Tarik Black and Donatas Motiejunas against DeAndre Jordan and Blake Griffin. Howard does not have a timetable to return and his fantasy owners should have him firmly on their benches.
Source:
Rockets on Twitter

NHL

Francois Beauchemin will miss next 4-6 weeks
Francois Beauchemin | ANA
(November 28, 2014 6:19 PM EST)
Francois Beauchemin has a broken finger and will miss the next four-to-six weeks.
Beauchemin has been placed on the injured reserve list as a result. He sustained the injury while blocking a shot during Tuesday's game. The Ducks acquired Eric Brewer to help fill the void during Beauchemin's absence.
Source:
Ducks.nhl.com
Marek Zidlicky is a game-time decision Friday
Marek Zidlicky | NJ
(November 28, 2014 5:26 PM EST)
Marek Zidlicky has a sore foot that might keep him out of Friday's game.
The plan is for Zidlicky to test his foot in the pregame warmups before a decision is made. He has 11 points and 18 penalty minutes in 22 games in 2014-15.
Source:
Tom Gulitti on Twitter

PGA

Furyk out of World Challenge with back injury
Jim Furyk | PGA
(November 26, 2014 2:01 PM EST)
Jim Furyk has withdrawn from next week's Hero World Challenge due to a 'tweaked back," according to Mike Antolini of the Tiger Woods Foundation.
Patrick Reed replaced Furyk in the 18-man field. The 16-time PGA TOUR winner hasn't played anywhere since finishing last of four at the PGA Grand Slam of Golf in mid-October. He's opened each of the last three seasons at the AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am, so it's possible that we won't see him again until Feb. 12-15 when the next edition of that tournament is contested.
Source:
Mike Antolini on Twitter
Appleby (back) withdraws from Australian Open
Stuart Appleby | PGA
(November 26, 2014 1:00 AM EST)
Stuart Appleby withdrew from the Emirates Australian Open due to a back injury.
The 43-year-old had already shifted out of a marquee threesome that included Rory McIlroy and Geoff Ogilvy before this latest decision. Appleby missed the cut at last week's BetEasy Masters. He had taken three weeks off following a T22 at The McGladrey Classic. If he's able, he'll give the Australian PGA Championship a go on Dec. 11-14.
Source:
PGA of Australia on Twitter

NASCAR

New crew chief for Scott in XFINITY Series
Brian Scott | 702
(November 25, 2014 7:29 PM EST)
Richard Childress Racing has hired Mike Hillman, Jr. to crew chief their No. 2 Chevrolet Camaro team with driver Brian Scott in the NASCAR XFINITY Series.
Hillman, Jr, 36, comes to RCR with 20 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series victories and two series championships. Through 235 NCWTS starts he has also earned 93 top-five and 132 top-10 finishes, including 17 pole awards. This will be Scott's third year with RCR in the XFINITY Series. During that time, the 26-year-old driver has earned four pole awards, nine top-five and 36 top-10 finishes. He's coming off his best season with a final driver points standing of fourth place.-Richard Childress Racing
Austin Dillon to run most XFINITY races
Austin Dillon | 3
(November 25, 2014 12:45 PM EST)
Two-time NASCAR Champion Austin Dillon will return to the NASCAR XFINITY Series with Rheem Manufacturing Company as primary sponsor on Richard Childress Racing's No. 33 Chevrolet for a majority of the 2015 season.
Dillon, the 2013 XFINITY (Nationwide) Series Champion, will drive the No. 33 Rheem Chevrolet under the RCR banner during the 2015 season while maintaining a full schedule in RCR's No. 3 Chevrolet SS in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series. He is a two-time XFINITY Series race winner, 10-time pole winner and holds the record for most consecutive poles in series history.-Richard Childress Racing